Thursday, August 28, 2008

Groundnut tomato chutney !


This was taught to me by my peddamma or mom's elder sister. Apparently its famous in Hyderabad and Suryapet (AP, India). She had served it to my mom on one of her trips and my mom knowing my madness for chutneys had made it for me when i was pregnant. When i made it for the first time, my father in law liked it so much that he learnt the recipe and it was made when my BIL visited us from France. I tell you, some simple recipes can be so yummy that you shouldn't wonder if they find a place in guiness book :-)

Ingredients:

Ground nuts - 1 cup
Ripe tomatoes - 3 (sour ones)
Tamarind - one lemon size
Red chillies - 6
Cumin seeds - 1/4 spoon
Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon
Asafoetida - 1/8 spoon
Oil - for tempering
Salt - As per taste


Method :

Dry roast the ground nuts and remove the husk. Now, add some oil in a wok and add the red chillies. Add finely chopped tomatoes. Once they start getting gooey, switch of the stove. let this cool down completely. Grind the ground nuts first and to this add the tomatoes and tamarind pulp. Grind to a smooth paste. Once done, temper with cumin,mustard and asafoetida. Do remember that asafoetida is the one that adds the zing to the chutney. Serve with anything under the sun.




No comments: